• Sculpture, painting, poetry, history to the present day, the culture in all its forms

Our history

Pietrasanta was founded in the thirteenth century, when the mayor of Lucca, after destroying the castles of Corvaia Vallecchia and took refuge with the army over the fortress overlooking the town.

Under the domain of Castruccio Castracani, Pietrasanta known such an important development that in 1324, the Castruccio Castracani himself gave order to build the fortress and the cathedral.

After the death of Castracani and a fire in the city, the power return back to the major of Lucca and later in 1484, to the major of Florence, to return back to Lucca after a few time.

With Michelangelo Buonarroti opens the first marble quarries leading into the city a major economic development.

In 1700 Pietro Leopoldo Grand Duke of Tuscany contributes significantly to the development of the city by implementing reclamation and encouraging the construction of hotels and lodgings.

In 1799, with the advent of the French, economic development suffers a setback to resume after the fall of Napoleon.

From this moment Pietrasanta knows only moments of recovery.

In 1842 was open a school for the artistic working of marble, which is currently active, assuming the name of district magistrate’s remained intact even after the unification of Italy.